|OverDrive is home to thousands of e-books, e-audiobooks, magazines, and streaming videos! These are available to download for free with your MVLC library card, via the online catalog, the OverDrive web site, or the free OverDrive or Libby apps.|
UPDATE: OverDrive is transitioning from the OverDrive app to the Libby app. Starting February 23, 2022, OverDrive will:
- remove the OverDrive app from the Apple, Google Play and Microsoft Stores
- remove OverDrive app download links from its web site
- no longer support new downloads of OverDrive for Windows or Mac
The OverDrive web site will still operate at https://mvlc.overdrive.com/.
After February 23rd, users who already have these OverDrive apps installed can still use them and the web site without disruption. They can also still transfer titles to dedicated ereaders like Nooks or Kobos.
However, Libby will be the mobile app for new users. The Libby app:
- is available in the Apple, Google Play and Microsoft Stores
- runs on iOS 10 or higher, Android 5 or higher or Windows 10
- allows users to transfer titles to dedicated ereaders like Nooks or Kobos
Users can also visit Libbyapp.com in a web browser.
Note for Kindle Fire users: Libby is currently NOT available in the Amazon App store. While Libby waits for Amazon’s response to their request to add the app to the store, Libby offers an Android Package File (APK) to load the app onto the Kindle Fire. The steps to add Libby to the device are:
- On your Fire tablet, open the Silk Browser and visit the link for the APK at https://www.overdrive.com/apps/libby/kindlefireapk
- You may get warnings saying that the Silk browser needs more access on your device or that this kind of file should be avoided. Libby tests their file to make sure it’s safe, so you can safely dismiss these messages for the Libby APK. Tap OK, Allow, or Continue to proceed. (The wording of the warnings may vary.)
- Once the file downloads, tap Open. (If you’re unable to open the file from this prompt, locate the file in your downloads folder and tap to open.)
- If you get a message saying your device is not allowed to install unknown apps from this source, tap Settings and toggle “Allow from this source” on. Note: Libby recommends turning this setting off after installing the Libby app. This will prevent you from accidentally downloading unsafe files in the future.
- Tap the back button in the top-left corner, then tap Install.
- Once the app is finished installing, tap Open to start using Libby!
When you switch from OverDrive to Libby:
- Any existing OverDrive checkouts, holds and wish lists will automatically sync to Libby, provided you are using the same library barcode.
- OverDrive borrowing history does not currently sync to Libby, but you can export your history from the app and email it to yourself. Note that it will only include titles you downloaded to that device. You’ll soon be able to do this from the OverDrive web site as well.
- PDF titles that require Adobe Digital Editions to be read can currently only be viewed through the OverDrive web site, but they are working to make this content available in Libby soon.
MVLC has produced a brochure explaining how to use the Libby app. Download it here!