|OverDrive is home to thousands of e-books, e-audiobooks, magazines, and streaming videos! These are available to download for free with your MVLC library card, via the online catalog, the OverDrive web site, or the free OverDrive or Libby apps.|
UPDATE: OverDrive is transitioning from the OverDrive app to the Libby app. Starting February 23, 2022, OverDrive will:
- remove the OverDrive app from the Apple, Google Play and Microsoft Stores
- remove OverDrive app download links from its web site
- no longer support new downloads of OverDrive for Windows or Mac
The OverDrive web site will still operate at https://mvlc.overdrive.com/.
After February 23rd, users who already have these OverDrive apps installed can still use them and the web site without disruption. They can also still transfer titles to dedicated ereaders like Nooks or Kobos.
However, Libby will be the mobile app for new users. The Libby app:
- is available in the Apple, Google Play and Microsoft Stores
- runs on iOS 10 or higher, Android 5 or higher or Windows 10
- allows users to transfer titles to dedicated ereaders like Nooks or Kobos
Users can also visit Libbyapp.com in a web browser.
Note for Kindle Fire users: Libby is currently NOT available in the Amazon App store. Libby has requested this and is awaiting Amazon’s response. The OverDrive app WILL still be available in the Amazon App store after February 23rd. Watch this space for more updates.
In the meantime, Kindle Fire users can:
- stream titles in their browser at Libbyapp.com
- download and use the OverDrive app from Amazon App store
- stream titles in their browser through mvlc.overdrive.com
- transfer Kindle ebooks to a Fire tablet from a device that supports Libby or from Libbyapp.com
When you switch from OverDrive to Libby:
- Any existing OverDrive checkouts, holds and wish lists will automatically sync to Libby, provided you are using the same library barcode.
- OverDrive borrowing history does not currently sync to Libby, but you can export your history from the app and email it to yourself. Note that it will only include titles you downloaded to that device. You’ll soon be able to do this from the OverDrive web site as well.
- PDF titles that require Adobe Digital Editions to be read can currently only be viewed through the OverDrive web site, but they are working to make this content available in Libby soon.
MVLC has produced a brochure explaining how to use the Libby app. Download it here!